Monday, February 22, 2010

Homemade Flour Tortillas

We are a family that loves Mexican food. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I found a recipe for flour tortillas a while back that looked like it would be easy enough to make. They were, especially since I used my breadmaker to mix up the dough.

Flour Tortillas Makes 12

2 C all purpose flour
1/4 C lard or vegetable shortening (I used lard, or Manteca as it's called in Spanish)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 C warm milk or water (I used milk)

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer.
Add the lard and mix until it is well combined and the mixture looks grainy.
Add the warm milk and mix until a smooth ball of dough forms, about 5 minutes.
Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll the pieces into balls.
Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
Roll the dough into thin circles, approximately 6 inches wide
Cook over medium heat until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment